Friday, February 3, 2023

This week in tragic stupidity

 Words fail for what happened the other day in Alburgh, Vt., hard by Lake Champlain and the Canadian border. I suppose "tragic" works because a man died suddenly and he was only 60, and it's always tragic when death comes like that.

Of course, "stupid" works, too. And, yes, I know how cold that sounds.

But Russell Giroux died, and it wasn't after he'd done something selfless or thoughtful or even just everyday. It was after Russell Giroux, a grown-ass man, got involved in brawl with a bunch of other alleged grownups.

At a basketball game.

A junior high basketball game.

And so, in today's latest episode of Adults Behaving Like 5-Year-Olds, the Blob presents for your consideration a basketball game between Alburgh and St. Albans -- a basketball game between 13- and 14-year-old boys.

No details have emerged as to what caused a bunch of grownups to spill onto the court and begin throwing down, but does it really matter? I mean, who does that at a kids basketball game? 

When I was in middle school at dear old Village Woods, I went to a few basketball games. I don't recall seeing anything that would have compelled me to run out on the floor and start wailing on people. I mean, it was middle school. We were all too busy  dissecting frogs in Mr. Lee's biology class to get in fights at a stupid basketball game.

And for grownups to do that?

Yeesh. 

And, so, yes, it's tragic what happened to Russell Giroux. If you're at all human, your heart goes out to his family and friends.  But somehow I think there'll be at least one irreverent soul at the funeral who'll look around, shake his head and mutter a single word under his breath:

"Dumbass."

No comments:

Post a Comment