Thursday, September 5, 2024

Meh-meh

 The Chicago Cubs no-hit my Pittsburgh Cruds last night, the first no-no by the home team in Wrigley Field since 1972. And all I can say about that is, "Big whoop." 

This is not because my Cruds were the victims and, as a Cruds fan, I'm bitter and sour grapes-y about it.

It's because no-hitting my Cruds is not much of an accomplishment, on account of they're the Cruds.

Also, it's because it took three pitchers to do it, and my opinion of a combined no-hitter is it's more a nah-nah than a no-no. Or maybe a meh-meh.

I would have been much more impressed had Shota Imanaga, who started and went untouched for seven innings, been allowed to complete the game. But allowing starters to finish games went out with flannel unis. It's as dead as Walter Johnson in Today's Baseball.

In Today's Baseball, Imanaga was up to 95 pitches through seven, so Cubs manager Craig Counsell told him to grab some bench, as modern custom commands. Nate Pearson then came on to pitch the eighth and rookie Porter Hodge the ninth to finish off the meh-meh.

And, sure, it's been 54 years since it happened, so I guess it's a big deal. But the last time it happened, Milt Pappas went the distance to ring it up. Plus he came one walk away from a perfect game.

Last night, it took three arms to do what Pappas did. And unlike Milt and his one baserunner, the Cruds put four men on base, taking advantage of three errors by the Cubs third baseman, Isaac Paredes. So there's that.

Milt Pappas, by the way, died in 2016. And if I let my imagination run away from me, I can see Milt and Walter Johnson sitting together in the Great Celestial Ballpark, shaking their heads and uttering one word:

"Lightweights."

No comments:

Post a Comment