Sunday, May 19, 2024

Gray (or grey) matters

 See here, now. Don't you blame me for that business at Pimlico yesterday.

I've told you a bazillion times what I know about horse racing you could fit in a jockey's silks, and we're not talking one of the more statuesque jockeys, either. So don't be getting all huffy because Seize the Grey won the Preakness Stakes yesterday, even if I have repeatedly maintained that gray (or grey) horses are frequently slower than erosion.

Well. I stand corrected.

I stand corrected, because Seize the Grey, a bonafide gray/grey horse, not only won the Preakness but led wire-to-wire, slopping through a muddy track to outlast Kentucky Derby winner Mystik Dan and Catching Freedom. And this after going off at 9-1, one of the longer shots in the eight-horse field.

Know what was even worse, from the Blob's point of view?

After all my jokes about mutts and Alpo, and how gray/grey horses should all be named Dobbin or Old Paint or Slow-Ass Clyde, Seize the Gray turned out to be not only fast but ... good-looking.

I'm serious. Most handsome gray/grey horse I've ever seen. And, yeah, it kills me to admit it.

"So you really don't know squadoosh about horses, do you. Fetlock Boy?" you're saying now.

Guilty as charged.

No comments:

Post a Comment