Saturday, October 28, 2023

A touch of Luka in the night

 I know how I describe this, if I'm whoever covered the Mavericks and the Nets last night. I steal from Grantland Rice.

Outlined against an October roof of a basketball arena, a game of H-O-R-S-E rode again. And Luka Doncic won it ...

Because, really, who's gonna match what Luka did with 26 seconds to go last night and his Mavs tied with visiting Brooklyn?

What he did was fling up a half-hook, half-what-the-hell-throw from beyond the 3-point line, with the Nets Dorian Finney-Smith draped over him like a rain suit. And Luka ... well, made it rain.

The ball left his hand, sailed on a sub-orbital arc, and banked in high off the glass to give the Mavs the lead and the eventual W. It might have been the most amazing make anyone in attendance ever saw, and put the exclamation point on Doncic's 49-point night. And it was one of four threes he made in the last 2:59.

Here's what it looked like. Finney-Smith joked Luka didn't call bank, but Luka joked he said it in Slovenian so Finney-Smith wouldn't understand.

Craziest thing about it?

Finney-Smith, who used to play with the Mavs, wasn't even that surprised.

"I've seen it a million times," he said. "He plays around and he honestly works on those shots. I feel we should have not let him get the ball back. That probably would have been the best option. S***, he couldn't even see the rim and he made that mug."

And Luka?

"I don't know how I made it," he said.

Yeah, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment