Friday, March 17, 2023

Madness! Madness!

 (To quote Col. Lipton at the end of "Bridge Over The River Kwai.")

Or to quote me, sitting in a fine establishment as the final seconds of Princeton-Arizona circled the drain, and it became apparent the Princetons were going to do it again, channeling the spirit of old Pete Carril - who for the first time is no longer with us in body in March.

Pete died back in August. Yesterday, his beloved 15-seed Princetons hit a lot of people's brackets in the head with a monkey wrench, shocking 2-seed Arizona 59-55. You can't tell me that's a coincidence.

Back at the Fine Establishment, the bartender looked at me and said "You really are rooting for the upset, aren't you?"

"Hell, yes!" I replied. "This is what makes this tournament great. I mean, there's absolutely NO WAY Princeton should be able to beat Arizona, but they're doing it!"

And it was glorious.

And 13-seed Furman stunning 4-seed Virginia was glorious, too. Especially since Furman hadn't been in Da Tournament since Jimmy Carter was president, and because the Paladins are an early favorite to win the March Madness Nickname title.

The Paladins! With a name like that, they've got to be good.

It's the Furmans and Princetons who make the first two days of this thing the best two days. It's also why the Blob hasn't filled out a bracket in years. Would I have enjoyed watching Furman and Princeton as much had they just made lasagna out of my bracket? No I would not. 

I also would not have enjoyed watching feisty 16-seed Northern Kentucky hang tough with lordly Houston, had I picked Houston to win it all or something. Or Louisiana scare the daylights out of Tennessee. Or Charleston giving San Diego State everything it wanted, although I really did think the Charlestons were going to be the first 12-5 upset.

Anyway, it's on to today, and more craziness, I hope. What if Fairleigh Dickinson and its goofy coach really do give Purdue a game? What if the MAC strikes again and Kent State stuns Indiana? What if it's Drake beating Miami that's the 12-5 upset?

More hijinks await. Bring 'em on.

No comments:

Post a Comment