Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Goin' old school

 So I'm looking at this photo of the new logo that will adorn the Cleveland Browns home field, and again I'm in my grandmother's kitchen. It's 1966, 1967. I'm holding a seat cushion. On it are all the logos of the NFL teams, arranged by division.

I don't know where Grandma Smitty got it. But this was pre-merger, so all the logos can fit on a seat cushion. There are the Bears and Vikings and Packers and Lions in the Central Division; the 49ers and Rams and Falcons and Colts in the "Coastal" Division. And in what was then called the "Century" Division ...

The Giants and Cardinals and Steelers and Browns.

Whose logo was a brash elf with a football tucked beneath his arm.

Which is to say, Brownie the Elf has been around for awhile. Like, since 1946.

Now Brownie the Elf will be back where he belongs, and the Blob is putting its hands together. Bravo, Browns, for goin' as old school as old school gets. And not only that, doing it in a hilariously ginormous way.

I mean, just look at him. You can probably see him from space, right? Opponents who reach the midfield area will be looking right into Brownie's huge glaring eyes. They'll run smack into that brutal stiff-arm, or get smooshed by that giant foot.

I love it.

Now if only all the teams would go back to the UNIS they wore in 1967 ...

No comments:

Post a Comment