Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Delusional

Because the Blob has never seen a cautionary tale it couldn't ignore, it's time to wade into the swamp delicately titled "Man vs. Woman: What Would Happen?", and somewhat less delicately titled "No, She Couldn't."

Here's what Ronda Rousey, the pre-eminent female athlete in the world whose name isn't Serena Williams, said on a Reddit chat recently, vis-a-vis a fight with Floyd Mayweather: "Floyd [Mayweather] is one of the best boxers of all time. He would definitely beat me in a boxing match. I unfortunately don't get into 'matches.' I fight for a living. In a no-rules fight, I believe I can beat anyone on this planet."

Um ... no, she couldn't.

In fact, I would go so far as to say Rousey is just this side of delusional. (No, not a crazy woman. I didn't say that. I would never say that. I may be a damn fool but I'm not the world biggest damn fool, going out of my way to deliberately inflame women everywhere with that kind of gasoline).

I would say Rousey's knocked over so many tomato cans it's given her a false sense of who she is and what she can do -- and more to the point, what she can't do. And what she can't do is come close to beating Floyd Mayweather, even in a no-rules fight.

The notion that she could beat him in such a fight, after all, seems predicated on the notion that she could get him on the ground. She couldn't. She'd have to wade through too many Mayweather punches to do that. And even one, solidly landed, likely puts her down and out.

I mean, this isn't an accountant we're talking about. It's pound-for-pound the best fistfighter on the planet. I have to think he could deliver a punch that could turn out Rousey's lights.

(One caveat: This is if Mayweather would abandon his usual never-throw-a-punch-unless-he-has-to style and just come out throwin'. Something tells me he'd just come out throwin'.)

Look. I think there have been female athletes, if the circumstances were right, who could not only compete with their male counterparts, but in some cases beat them. I just don't think this is one of those circumstances.

Sorry, ladies. You may commence flaying me.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment