Friday, May 27, 2022

A man and his brain

 Look, I don't care if Herschel Walker -- former football star; current candidate for  the Republican Congressional Crazy Train -- thinks Samuel J. Tilden* stole the 2020 election from his boy Donald Trump. Or if it was, I don't know, space aliens or AOC or Snidely Whiplash. 

(*If you don't know who Samuel J. Tilden is, look up the election of 1876. As Dwayne Pride says on "NCIS: New Orleans", learn things)

Now where was I?

Oh, yeah. Herschel Walker.

Who's been even more incoherent than his Fearless Leader during this campaign, which of course doesn't hurt him a bit with the Republican electorate. The other day, like a lot of politicians who believe we care what they think, he weighed in on the massacre in Uvalde, and he Herscheled the bejeezus out of it.

Here's what he said: Cain killed Abel and that's a problem that we have. What we need to do is look into how we can stop these things. You know, you talked about doing a disinformation -- what about getting a department that can look at young men that's looking at women that's looking at their social media. What about doing that? Looking into things like that and we can stop that that way. But yet they just want to continue to talk about taking away your constitutional rights ...

OK. That's enough to give you the general idea.

Which is, what the hell is this man talking about?

Cain and Abel? Sexual predators cruising online for victims? This has what to do with 19 dead kids and a dead teacher in a Texas elementary school?

And, no, Herschel, no one's trying to take away your constitutional rights. Give it a rest.

What I conclude from all this incoherency, and various other examples Herschel's given us on the campaign trail, is maybe not what everyone concludes. What I see, and hear, is another former football player who might well be suffering from CTE.

It's impossible to prove, of course, and I suppose there are other completely viable explanations for Herschel's inability to form and enunciate clear thoughts. But I can't help where my mind goes, and the more I hear him speak, the more my mind goes to his days as a football player and how much head trauma he incurred.

Maybe that's unfair. But it's not unreasonable given what so often happens to a man and his brain if he's spent as many years on a football field as Herschel has.

I think I'm seeing that every time candidate Herschel opens his mouth.  And it makes me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment