Sunday, June 10, 2018

Make it a Triple

And, OK, so first things first: I was wrong.

("You? No!" you're saying.)

(Also: "Again?")

(Also "How is this news?")

Anyway ... I was wrong.

I had a strong sense going in yesterday that Justify was not going to win the Belmont, that he would be just another horse among many who couldn't finish the deal. I figured the extra distance would stick a fork in him. I figured this because I saw him almost get run down at the end of the Preakness, and if he was flagging at the end of that, well ...

Well. I figured all of that because I forgot some other stuff.

I forgot how utterly dominant he was on a sloppy track in the Kentucky Derby, how he was never really challenged.

I forgot what Bob Baffert said about him that day, which was that Justify was, in his mind, every bit the horse 2015 Triple Crown winner American Pharoah was. And American Pharoah was the best racehorse I'd seen since Affirmed.

I forgot that he came to the Belmont still unbeaten, and generally 3-year-olds do not come to the Belmont undefeated.

Then I watched the Belmont. And I remembered all of that.

So here it is: I was as wrong as a man can be about Justify. From the worst starting position on the track -- the 1 hole -- he led virtually wire-to-wire. He was never really challenged. And when jockey Mike Smith turned him for home and let him go, he simply ran away from everyone.

Now, this could have been because the rest of the Triple Crown field this year were cans of Alpo with feet. But that's not what all the Horse People said. All the Horse People said this was the strongest bunch of 3-year-olds in years.

And not one of them could touch Justify yesterday. Not one of them could go with him, from gate to finish.

So here's what I think now; I think Justify is every bit the horse American Pharoah was. I think they're two best racehorses I've seen in 40 years, or since Affirmed. Neither were Secretariat, but no horse has ever been Secretariat. Secretariat was a freak of nature we're likely never to see again in our lifetimes.

But as your Triple Crown winner?

Justify's as good as any of the others not named Secretariat. And maybe better.

No comments:

Post a Comment