Monday, April 8, 2024

Snubbing the snubbers

 They say the grass is always greener on the other side, but I don't know what they say when the grass on this side is blue. I suppose John Calipari is going to find out now.

Coach Cal hasn't gotten Kentucky to the Final Four in a pile of years, so he did the next best thing, which is lob a grenade into  the middle of it. This upon the frankly stunning news that he's leaving  the Bluegrass State to take the job at SEC rival Arkansas -- a story that broke, of course, on the day of the national championship game.

Now, it's well documented Coach Cal has been under some heat from the Kentucky fan base, which tends not to like it when the Wildcats don't win a national title every other year. They especially don't like it when it hasn't happened in over a decade, and they really don't like it when the Wildcats get knocked out of March Madness early by some scruffy peasant  from the Horizon League.

Which is what happened a couple of weeks back when Oakland, a 14-seed and the Horizon champion, sent the third-seeded Wildcats back to Lexington on the first day of the Madness (not counting the play-in games, which the Blob doesn't).

Oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth that set off in  the UK kingdom, Some people thought Calipari was going to get fired, but UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart stood by his man -- even if, by standing so close to the target of Wildcat Nation 's wrath, he, too, caught some shrapnel.

Now Calipari is rewarding this brave show of loyalty by saying, "I'm outta here." And you can make of that what you will.

Me, I'm letting my imagination out to play again. I'm popping the hood on Coach Cal's head and imagining what he's thinking right now as he heads off to Arkansas: 

You want me gone, you ungrateful hilljacks? Fine, I'm gone. I'm headed for Little Rock, where I'll have the immense pleasure of kicking your hindparts two or three times every year. You think I've lost it? Yeah, wait'll we drop 100 on you some night. You'll be losin' it, all right -- maybe even in the bathroom if you make it that far.

Oh, and you wanna know something else?

Your bourbon sucks. And I never liked horses, either. 

Later, dudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment