Thursday, April 25, 2024

Gettin' a bit drafty

 Tonight is the first round of the NFL Draft, and, boy, I can hardly wait for the three hours or so it will take because every team gets 10 minutes per pick to make decisions it made weeks ago.

This is one of the many hilarious/annoying aspects of the Draft, which the Blob hardly ever watches because you can follow it online and you don't have to watch highlight clips you've seen a million times. Also -- and this is a big "also" -- you don't have to listen to Mel and Todd and the other draftniks engage in boring geek speak for three hours. 

Mel: "Caleb Williams is the most NFL-ready quarterback prospect since Andrew Luck --and by 'NFL-ready',  I mean he's already been in a bunch of Subway ads, and his dad is already a pain in the ass, and consequently he already has the requisite sense of entitlement."

Todd: "Marvin Harrison Jr. from Ohio State is the most NFL-ready wide receiver prospect since, I don't know, his dad, maybe -- and by 'NFL-ready', I mean he skipped the combine and skipped the private workouts, and already people like me are saying he might not even be the best wideout in this draft. I mean, have you seen Malik Nabers from LSU and Rome Odunze from Washington?"

I don't know about you, but I can do without  all that. Also if I don't watch I don't have to see Roger Goodell every 10 minutes, so there's that.

Suffice it to say I'm definitely not the guy to ask if you want to find out who the Colts are going to select with -- what is it again? -- the 15th pick. Apparently they need wideouts, but the three marquee guys (Harrison, Nabers and Odunze) likely will be gone by then. So they'll be left with, I don't know, some guy from Oregon or USC, or some other guy from Ohio State or LSU or Washington not named Harrison Jr., Nabers or Odunze.

I'd put in a plug for Raymond Berry, but he's 91 years old now and already played for the Colts, and he's in the Hall of Fame and stuff.  So I doubt he'd be interested.

They could use another tight end, and Brock Bowers from Georgia is a really good one. So maybe the Horsies pluck him if he's still on the vine at 15.

Other than that ...

Well. I got nothin'. 

Oh, I've heard about all the quality quarterbacks in this draft, but I've been around long enough to know most of them will turn out to be Zach Wilson or Mitch Trubisky. I've also heard this draft is deep in offensive linemen and (as already noted) wide receivers. 

I also have it on good authority there's a couple late first-round steals from Bemidji State and Whatsamatta U. lurking in the weeds. 

OK. So I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment