Thursday, May 30, 2019

Scrambled signal

Look, I get it. First, it's not 1965 anymore. Second, it's hockey, which has a niche audience no matter how much fans of it like myself are loathe to admit otherwise.

And third?

Third ... well, yes, what I'm about to say does make me that archetypal geezer of myth and legend.

In other words: Damn kids.

And also: Don't you see me over here shaking my fist as you track dirt through my pristine green lawn?

Get off my lawn, and, NBC, get this schlock crap off my TV screen. It's the Stanley Cup Final, dammit. Why are we watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Warriors or whatever this cheap-o garbage is called?

Nobody cares. What we care about, those of us who don't have cable or DirectTV or live streaming or your fancy apps -- whose televisions operate like, yes, it really is 1965 -- is Carl Gunnarsson scoring in overtime for the St. Louis Blues last night, evening the Stanley Cup Final with the Boston Bruins at one game apiece.

We geezers didn't see it, because NBC chose not to run Game 2 on its main feed. Apparently Teenage Mutant Ninja Warriors was too big a deal to pre-empt for only the oldest major championship series on the North American continent. 

Yeesh. Can Congress not pass a law dictating that major championships in American sport be required to air on network TV? I mean, since Congress isn't doing anything else these days besides ducking and running from the raving ninny in the White House?

I mean, it's one thing to pre-empt the Stanley Cup Final for something good, like "Law & Order: SVU" reruns. But for trash programming like Teenage Mutant Ninja Warriors? What, they've run out of America Sings Good contests to put on the air?

I know. I know. Shaking my fist, screaming at the damn kids.

But ... come on. It's the Stanley Cup Final.

Where's the love, NBC?   

No comments:

Post a Comment