So now that the inevitable is over, a few thoughts on the Fight of the Century, or the Exhibition of the Century, or A Really Nice Payday For A Couple Loathsome Guys On A Saturday Night In August:
1. Seldom has there ever been a sporting event more easily predicted. Most seasoned observers of the fistic arts predicted Conor McGregor would come out fast, Floyd Mayweather would slowly wait for him to wear himself out (because MMA fights last about 12 seconds in comparison to a prizefight), then take him apart.
Well, surprise, surprise, That's exactly what happened, if a bit later than some thought. I figured Mayweather by TKO in the fifth or sixth. It was Mayweather by TKO in the 10th.
2. Which some people have spun as redemption for the whole circus act, and for McGregor in particular.
3. But not me.
4. Because to the people saying, "See, it was a real fight!" I can only reply "See, they made it look good for all the people who plunked down all that money!"
5. Which of course they were going to.
6. Because that's the secret to a great con.