Wednesday, August 16, 2023

And your QB1 is ...

... Anthony Richardson, Indianapolis Colts fans.

Does that make anyone else feel both intrigued and queasy at the same time? No?

Well, it must just be me, then.

It must just be me, because Colts head coach Shane Steichen has seen waaay more of AR than I have, and if Steichen is convinced he's ready to step into maybe the toughest position in sports, then he must be ready. And even if he's not ... I mean, what, you thought the Colts were going to go with Gardner Minshew just because he used to have that way-cool Fu?

Nah, man. If AR truly is the generational athletic freak we've all been told he is, the time to find out is now, not when the Colts get good again. This is a team that at best looks like its headed for a head-on collision with 8-9 (maybe even 9-8 if the cards fall right!), so what's the harm in letting Richardson get all those rookie mistakes out of the way while it doesn't count?

Worked for Peyton Manning, right?

The Sheriff threw 28 interceptions for a trash team his rookie year, and then, as the team got better, he got better. And then of course he got ridiculously, Hall-of-Fame better.

Richardson has as different a skill set as a bandsaw has from a jackhammer, but the principle is the same. And yet the thought of throwing Richardson to the wolves straight off makes my stomach do sitspins.

Maybe it's the age thing. 

No. Definitely it's the age thing.

What brought me up short yesterday when the Colts announced Richardson would be their week one starter was  the realization that just four years ago he was preparing to be the week one starter for Eastside High School in Gainesville, Fla. And that, since playing his last high school game, he's played in just 14 games. And that he's only 21 years and three months old, which means in a lot of states his first legal beer would still be current events.

And, sure, of course, I knew all that. But it didn't really hit me how young this kid is until now.

I hope he's ready for this. I hope he learns and grows and learns and grows and becomes everything he's projected to be. I hope, mostly, that the Colts didn't set him up to fail by putting so much on him so quickly,

From everything I've read about his maturity and his willingness to learn and his level-headedness, it's a good bet the Colts didn't do that. But as we've observed since the night Andrew Luck abruptly retired, stuff tends to happen with this franchise.

So, yeah, I can't wait to see this. And pass the Pepto.

No comments:

Post a Comment