Thursday, August 6, 2026

Copy-cattin'. Or not.

And now ... logo wars!

Which is the Blob's way of introducing the current tiff between Smith & Wesson and the Fort Wayne Football Club, two entities you never thought you'd see in the same sentence until you did.

Smith & Wesson, see, thinks Fort Wayne FC's logo looks waaaay too much like Smith & Wesson's logo, which of course has been around waaaay longer. So S & W is suing the local soccer club for copyright infringement.

I gotta be honest here. I think Smith & Wesson might have a case. 

But only a teensy one.

Yes, the font and calligraphy of both logos are eerily similar. But this does not mean Fort Wayne FC is guilty of copy-catting Smith & Wesson's deal. It just means in an America where corporate logos are thicker than BS in a congressional inquiry, sooner or later lookalikes are going to happen.

Besides, does anyone with a working synapse think Fort Wayne FC intentionally copied the logo of a gunmaker? Or even ran across it when it was trying to come up with something snazzy?

Imagine the conversation ...

FC Artistic Guy: Hey, let's check out some gunmaker logos. Maybe we'll see something snazzy.

FC Project Manager: Do WHAT?

Artistic Guy: Gunmakers! I mean, why not?

Project Manager: I dunno, because we're not a gunmaker? We're a soccer club. Why the hell would be looking at gunmaker logos? Better we should be checking out other soccer club logos so we don't inadvertently copy one and get sued.

Artistic Guy: OK, FINE. I suppose this means you don't want to check out these rad kitchen appliance logos, either. 

And so on.

At any rate, here's hoping some judge tells Smith & Wesson to take its teensy lawsuit and make a paper airplane out of it. 'Cause I, for one, happen to like the football club's logo. So I'd hate to see them have to scrap it for, I don't know, a logo featuring the silhouette of a soccer player leaning hard into a drive upfie--

Jerry West, from somewhere in the great beyond: "Hey! That looks like me!"

Well, crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment