Monday, March 14, 2022

Your bad bracket takes for today

 OK, first off, on the morning after Selection Sunday: You're gonna hate the Blob if you're a Purdue fan.

You're gonna think I threw a rock through the World's Largest Drum.

You're gonna think I swiped Purdue Pete's hammer and caved in his giant papier mache head.

You're gonna think I despise black and gold, and Jack Mollenkopf, and Leroy Keyes. Also Gene Keady, Rick Mount, Joe Barry Carroll and every single member of the John Purdue Club.

All of that, because I've seen the bracket. And I've seen Purdue play these last several weeks. And I honestly think there's a very good chance the Boilermakers don't get out of the first weekend.

What I see when I've watched them the last several weeks is a team barely scraping past teams it should be blowing out if it's actually the eighth-ranked team in the country. I see it becoming too dependent on Jaden Ivey to save the day. I see it losing twice to Wisconsin and somehow remaining ranked ahead of the Badgers,  and trailing most of the way Sunday against an Iowa team it had already beaten twice, and that needed a garbage bank shot from midcourt to beat Indiana in the Big Ten semis.

Long story short, I see a team that's not playing its best basketball heading into the Madness. And so I see a team that maybe, might, possibly could get a scare from Yale on Friday -- and that maybe, might, very possibly go down to either 6-seed Texas or 11-seed Virginia Tech in the second round.

I see a team ripe for one of those upsets that blow up a bracket.

On the other hand, I see an Indiana team that is playing its basketball right now, and -- if it continues to do so, always problematical with these Hoosiers -- is going to be a very tough out for whoever they play. The NCAA assigned them to a play-in game against Wyoming, but I could see the 12-seed Hoosiers winning that, pulling off the legendary 12-over-5 upset against St. Mary's in the first round, and then likely getting 4-seed UCLA in the second round.

A winnable game? Maybe. 

"Oh, right, sure, you IU homer, you," Purdue Fan is sneering now. "Where's your candy-stripe pants to match your candy ass? Why don't you just go ahead and SING THE IU FIGHT SONG while you s*** all over Purdue like always? Andy Katz has Purdue in the championship game against Arizona, and he's FORGOTTEN more about college hoops than you'll ever know!"

Yes, I'm sure that's true.

Yes, I know I'm betraying my family's roots by being suspicious of Purdue.

But here's your saving grace, Purdue Fan: I'm almost always wrong when it comes to the Madness.

So you've got that going for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment