Wednesday, July 20, 2022

The streets of Chicago, reimagined

 You've gotta admire Ben Kennedy, the new-generation NASCAR pasha. He does think outside the box.

His latest big idea is a street race in downtown Chicago, plans for which were unveiled this week. The 12-turn, 2.2-mile course will run along Lakeshore Drive and Michigan Avenue, through Grant Park and past Soldier Field. The start/finish line and pits will be in front of Buckingham Fountain.

It all happens next July 2, if all goes according to plan.

Me, I can't imagine what's going to be like to drive in Chicago then. It's a nightmare any time, even without half the major thoroughfares shut down for several days.

Quick story: Several years ago I went to Chicago to cover the Bears against the Bengals, because Tyler Eifert was playing for the Bengals and Eifert was a native son. Unbeknownst to me, the Chicago Marathon -- or some run or other -- was happening that same day.

I can't begin to tell you all the weird detours I had to take just to reach the vicinity of Soldier Field. All I recall is it seemed to take hours, and there were a million dead ends because half the city streets were closed. Frankly I've blocked most of it out. 

"But Mr. Blob," you're saying now. "Isn't that the deal with every street race in every city? Aren't they all inconvenient as hell for people who are just trying to get somewhere?"

Well ... yes. I suppose. But Chicago I know. 

I also know a NASCAR race there will likely be a tight, relatively slow-moving affair, given all the twists and turns. There'll be wrecks, surely. Guys will get into other guys. There might even be fisticuffs when Guy One blames Guy Two and vice-versa.

In other words, it has a chance to be entertaining. But as someone who's survived driving in Chi dozens of times, I'd like to see the stock-car boys take on a REAL Chicago challenge.

Rush hour. The Dan Ryan. We'll see who can drive and who can't, by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment